9/15/2006

Caracas Arepa Bar

September 5, 2006 Cuisine: Venezuelan, South American 91 E 7th St, New York 10009 Between 1st Ave & Ave A Phone: 212-228-5062 Website: http://www.caracasarepabar.com/ -- Entree I: PABELLON CRIOLLO - Venezuelan National Dish. It is a platter with white rice, black beans, shredded beef and fried sweet plantains sprinkled with white salty cheese. -- Brother and I ended up getting take out for dinner last night and had the Pabellon Criollo delivered to the apartment. It turns out that Venezuelan food, this dish in particular, is dangerously similar to my favorite Cuban treat - Vaca Frita. The major difference between the two dishes I'd say is the use of cotija cheese on the beans and a yellow sauce that accompanied the beef. While I'm not sure of the exact name of the sauce, I'd describe it as slightly sweet, slightly spicy and perhaps mustard based. The beef was also a lot less "frita" AKA more moist. Cuban rice and beans are a lot more flavorful, probably due to the generous employment of lard. The Pabellon Criollo was very satisfying, but my heart still lies with the Cubanos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home